Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Silhouette Picture Tutorial



This is such an adorable art craft and anyone can make one!

Supplies needed:

Any photograph with a side profile
(1) frame any size (depending on what size you want your silhouette to be)
(1) Art canvas, the thin one
(1) Old book you don't mind ripping apart
      Modge Podge
      Paint brush
(1) Sheet matte-finish scrapbook paper/ thick,  BLACK (smooth or textured)  I prefer textured.

That is it, that is all you need!


I was featured on Remodelaholic here: Remodelaholic.com /Silhouette-art-picture-tutorial.
~First time ever being featured~



 
Also I am featured on Bobbypins Boardwalk:
 Thank you so much Jan


Photobucket


Step 1:
Pick your photo, side profiles work best so you get the shape outline of the persons face. 

Example:



Step 2:  Increase the contrast very high until most of the image is black or white.  I use Microsoft Picture It program for all my editing. 



Step 3: Next go in with you freehand paint tool and color in the areas that need to be included in the silhouette.  It doesn't have to be perfect just good enough that you can see how to cut it out.


Step 4:  Add any extras into your picture.  I wanted to add a few more curls to my daughter's hair and I wanted her to have a skirt on since you couldn't tell they were anywhere near the water anymore.
Step 5: Print out your silhouette the size you like and tape it to your black scrapbook paper.  Either use and exacto knife or scissors or both to cut out you image.  I ended up using both.

Step 6:  Start ripping out pages from your old book.  I know that is a huge 'no, no' but I'm sure you can find a book at a thrift store for about .25c that wouldn't mind at all.  I love the ones with the yellowed edges. 

Now lay out your background design, play around with it to see what you like.  You can do them perfectly lined up side by side and precise.  I am not a perfect or precise artist, especially when it comes to my art.  Paint a layer of Modge Podge on the canvas and start sticking down your torn piece of book pages.  Paint each piece down as you go, that will prevent piece from humping up and getting bubbles under it.  

Step 7: I let that layer dry completely and then added another layer of Modge Podge.  Next lay down your silhouette and modge podge over it.  Let dry completely and then add one more layer of modge podge all over your canvas.  Hint: I go in one direction with all my strokes.

Step 8: Let it dry over night and your canvas in done!

Step 9: Frame it up.  I happen to get my frame from Micheal's Craft Store.  It was a graduation frame marked down from $19.99 to $3.99.  I just took all the matting out and removed the glass.  I have seen tons of frames at local thrift store for .50c -1.00 and a quick coat of black matte spray paint will make any frame work for this project.

Making the Page flowers:

If you wanted to add the extra touch to your frame with the page flowers here is how you do those.
Rip another page out of your old book and fold the page from top to bottom like an accordion or fan.  Fold in half and glue together. (I hot glued mine which is so much faster)  Make one or two more depending on how thick you want your flower to be; I used three.  Fold in half and glue the other together.  Now glue each 'fan' to the other one and you will have a pretty fan flower.  I scalloped my edges but you can always just leave them straight.  Now add as many as you want.  I layered mine on the bottom corner, just cut the fans down to a smaller size and hot glue on top of the larger page flower.


Ok, so I am taking the big step and entering this contest:
Go check it out NOW!







Link to these parties:
giveaways



Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays
Photobucket




22 comments:

  1. This is just ADORABLE!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!! (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is just toooo cute! I love the silhouette of the children. I would love to have one of my new grandbaby. Thanks for the tut on how to do this.

    I also like the accent. That would be cute on so many projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much everyone, so happy you like the tutorial. I loved this project so much. I'm thinking these would be so cute for Grandparent's Christmas gifts this year.

    Diane, I would love to see the grandbaby silhouette when you get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I have to make one now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Jessica, it is so much fun. I would love to see your silhouette when you get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I've been wanting to try silhouttes forever...this encourages me.

    http://holy-craft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous! Thanks for the great idea and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very cute. And I like that it's actually your kids. I've seen similar with just any old silhouette, but I really love that it's your own photograph. What an awesome idea. It turned out amazing. Came over from Remodelaholic.

    Krista
    whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much theteo5, can't wait to check out you blog.

    Sue, thank you so much, I am still in the 'new' stage of blogging and especially posting tutorial so thank you for building my confidence.

    Krista, Thank you I love making my art personal. Using just any old picture would never do! LOL That is why I love this project anyone can take their own snap shots of the ones they love and turn it into works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello there! i found your blog through remodelaholic! great tutorial! i love this idea and i can't wait to try it!

    ps I love Walking in Memphis too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome bet1975 to my blog, thanks so much for joining. I am so excited to be featured on remodelaholic!

    Glad you like the music, that song never gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this project has been everywhere lately, but only YOU have actually given a great tutorial..esp for computer gals. Love it and can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sabrina thank you so much! I knew my tutorial was very different from all the ones I had read and I thought it was super easy and required no tracing. With a background in photography I am always think in that frame of mind whenever I craft.

    Thanks for checking out my post and please join my blog to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much Candace, so happy you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing!! I love this project and hope to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    Krista
    Craftinginthecloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! I wanted to let you know that I have featured this post as one of my September bookmarks -- "Bookmarked on the Boardwalk". Feel free to stop by, take a look at your project as well as the others, and grab a button! You will find it HERE:

    http://wwwbobbypinsboardwalk.blogspot.com/2010/10/septembers-boardwalk-bookmarks.html

    If you're not a follower of my blog, I would love for you to sign up to follow. It will make it easier for me to see your future projects through my "reader", and of course, I always return the "follow"! Congrats on a fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Krista, would love to see your silhouette!

    Jan, thank you so much for featuring me on your September bookmarks. I joined your blog too and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails